Kitsap Sun Kitsap County, Wash. January 2014 to present
- Collaborate with local government agencies, community organization and stakeholders for new coverage.
- Administrate and promote social media coverage of breaking news and feature events as needed.
- Coordinate, promote and facilitate live, online video chats with the community specialists as a mediator.
- Build and maintain good relationships with key community leaders and organizations.
- Develop strategies, goals and objectives for video engagement and long-term projects.
The Bigheart Times Osage County, Okla. April 2011 to December 2013
- Managed the company’s social media marketing strategy and more than doubled website traffic.
- Created an online presence and additional revenue by launching a website and paywall system.
- Oversee all online stories, photographs, videos and photo galleries produced by myself and the news editor.
- Covered general assignments, features, sports, breaking news and enterprise stories.
- Collaborated and designed page layouts, including the front page and special sections using InDesign.
- Acted as interim newsroom manager during editor’s absence, using good judgment and work ethic.
- Coordinated with the news editor on all photography assignments for scheduling and planning.
- Photographed general and breaking news, sports, feature and product illustration assignments.
- Redesigned the front page layout for stronger visual impact and initiated a weekly feature section.
Tyler Morning Telegraph Tyler, Texas August 2010 to March 2011
- Generated daily feature, sports and general assignment photos by deadline for print and online.
- Collaborated with design, reporting and copy editing staff to meet daily deadlines.
- Created a roadside memorial multimedia project, including recording and editing audio.
Lawrence Journal-World Lawrence, Kan. June 2006 to July 2009
Photojournalist and Photo Technician
- Completed daily and long-term photography assignments on deadline.
- Prepared feature story audio slideshows, including recording and editing audio.
- Color-corrected images and graphics for daily publication and special sections as the photo technician.
SKILLS AND SOFTWARE
- Knowledge of deadline reporting and fast-paced writing skills for print and online.
- Understanding of community relations, outreach and coordination for news coverage.
- Capable of working independently, taking initiative, setting priorities and handling multiple projects.
- Comprehension of a variety of government and community programs in diverse populations.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills, as well as public speaking experience with leading live, video chats.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Google Docs.
- Efficient in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Bridge and Illustrator.
- Experience PC and Mac platforms, as well as non-linear editing software, such as Final Cut Pro.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Oklahoma Press Association Better Newspaper Contest, 2013
- Sequoyah Award, best newspaper in its circulation division
Oklahoma Press Association Better Newspaper Contest, 2012
Society of Professional Journalists Oklahoma Chapter, 2011
- First place sports reporting
- First place spot news photography, sports photography & photo essay
- Best Photographic Portfolio
Eddie Adams Workshop, 2009
- The Eddie Adams Workshop is an intense four-day gathering of the top photography professionals, along with 100 carefully selected students. The photography workshop is tuition-free, and the 100 students are chosen based on the merit of their portfolios.
KC Society of Professional Journalists Heart of America Awards, 2008
- Bronze multimedia package on grandmothers as mothers
The University of Kansas Lawrence, Kan. Graduated May 2009
William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Bachelor of Science in journalism: news and information emphasis