Jewish Family Service | Seattle, Washington | January 2014 to present
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
- Coordinated with multiple service departments to create marketing strategies, campaigns and materials for print and online.
- Managed social media accounts, more than doubling the JFS Seattle Facebook ‘likes’ in a year.
- Initiated two new email publications targeting volunteers and referral organizations.
- Created stories, videos and photographs about clients for print and online platforms, targeting donors and volunteers.
Kitsap Sun | Kitsap County, Washington | January 2014 to June 2016
- Reported on local government agencies and community organization for news coverage.
- Mediated live online video chats between community specialists and the public.
- Built and maintained good relationships with key community leaders and organizations.
- Developed strategies, goals and objectives for video engagement and long-term projects.
The Bigheart Times | Osage County, Oklahoma | April 2011 to December 2013
- Managed the company’s social media marketing strategy and more than doubled website traffic.
- Created an online presence and additional revenue by launching a website and paywall system.
- Oversee all online stories, photographs, videos and photo galleries produced by myself and the news editor.
- Covered general assignments, features, sports, breaking news and enterprise stories.
- Collaborated and designed page layouts, including the front page and special sections using InDesign.
- Acted as interim newsroom manager during editor’s absence, using good judgment and work ethic.
- Coordinated with the news editor on all photography assignments for scheduling and planning.
- Photographed general and breaking news, sports, feature and product illustration assignments.
- Redesigned the front page layout for stronger visual impact and initiated a weekly feature section.
Tyler Morning Telegraph | Tyler, Texas | August 2010 to March 2011
- Generated daily feature, sports and general assignment photos by deadline for print and online.
- Collaborated with design, reporting and copy editing staff to meet daily deadlines.
- Created a roadside memorial multimedia project, including recording and editing audio.
Journal-World | Lawrence, Kansas | June 2006 to July 2009
Photojournalist and Photo Technician
- Completed daily and long-term photography assignments on deadline.
- Prepared feature story audio slideshows, including recording and editing audio.
- Color-corrected images and graphics for daily publication and special sections as the photo technician.
SKILLS AND SOFTWARE
- Deadline reporting: Fast-paced writing skills for print and online.
- Strong grasp of community relations, outreach and coordination.
- Familiar with government and community programs in diverse populations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) and non-linear editing software (Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, etc.).
HONORS AND AWARDS
Society of Professional Journalists Northwest Excellence Contest, 2016
- First place spot news coverage.
Oklahoma Press Association Better Newspaper Contest, 2013
- Sequoyah Award, best newspaper in its circulation division.
Oklahoma Press Association Better Newspaper Contest, 2012
Society of Professional Journalists Oklahoma Chapter, 2011
- First place sports reporting.
- First place spot news photography, sports photography & photo essay.
- Best Photographic Portfolio.
Eddie Adams Workshop, 2009
- The Eddie Adams Workshop is an intense four-day gathering of the top photography professionals, along with 100 carefully selected students. The photography workshop is tuition-free, and the 100 students are chosen based on the merit of their portfolios.
KC Society of Professional Journalists Heart of America Awards, 2008
- Bronze multimedia package on grandmothers as mothers.
The University of Kansas | Lawrence, Kansas | Graduated May 2009
William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Bachelor of Science in journalism: news and information emphasis.